I know I teased this on Instagram a long time ago but the time has finally come to reveal my awesome DIY storage project for my room. I was on a bit of a décor kick as of recent and wanted to bring my interior style game up a notch now that I’m getting older. One way to do that was introducing mixed metals to my new mirrored furniture and find ways to incorporate natural elements like wood to make it cozier. A full room tour might be necessary in the near future! For now here is how I jazzed up this ordinary shelving unit to be perfect for my aesthetic.
Things you will need- Everything can be purchased from Walmart.com
- Storage Unit
- Gold Spray Paint
- Screwdriver or Drill (I only used a screwdriver)
- Marble Contact Paper (or any pattern contact paper for that matter)
- Pencil, Ruler and Scissors (or scrap booking knife)
- Prepare your work space with enough room, you will only need a screwdriver or drill (if you’re fancy)
- Follow the directions to screw each shelf to the columns (starting from the bottom helps)
- After its constructed take it to an outside open area and spray with gold paint, let dry and do a second coat
- Measure and cut pieces of contact paper with the pencil and ruler (make sure to write on the back portion of the paper not the visible marble part)
- Cut out the pieces and smooth them over the shelves with the ruler or a rag to smooth out any air bubbles
- Embellish shelves with books or home décor items, get creative!
I had originally planned on leaving the bottom shelf open for a hamper or larger items but later decided to add the missing shelf for a more cohesive look. I also plan on eventually getting some pull out mesh drawers from IKEA and de clutter it. For now I love the finished product and can’t wait to play around with the items and change them up for the seasons!